Wednesday, April 22, 2009

For the Love of Writing

This is my song to writers who straddle two worlds, people who are commercial writers by day and artistic writers by night. And this is my paean to people who work by day, whether as mother and homemaker, shoe salesman, CEO, or waitress, and who in their free time turn to their true passion whether that be writing a novel, poem, children's book, opera, short story or song lyric. You may feel privileged that you've given yourself this second job of making art. And I'll bet it sometimes feels as though you are cursed. Your second shift begins after dinner, after the children have quieted down. That is when you begin anew because the artist inside beckons and you must answer; because you know you can do this, and because it is something you must do to nourish your soul.

I know something about being a commercial writer by day and a novelist by night. I'm now in the final stages of a novel I started writing in May 2002. Below are a few strategies that might help you live the life of a part-time artist with grace and equanimity (when you're tempted to give leave of your senses).

Trust. It takes time. It's a journey. Trust yourself that you will never quit until you get it right. Trust that the forces of the universe will align to give you exactly what you need, exactly when you need it. Trust that you'll know when its done and you will give it up to the world when it is at its best. Trust that all this will happen in its own time.

Take out the trash. (Courtesy of Dan Millman's The Way of The Peaceful Warrior.) By this I mean take the trash out of your mind. Examples of trash: Boy, that's great writing! This is dreck! My readers will close the book on me! I'm brilliant! I'll never get this right! I've got this knocked! Damn, this is good! I can't write! I'll never finish! That's so flatfooted! No one could possibly understand this, no less love it! (In fact, when you're in this place, thinking these thoughts, you may be on the verge of the most universal stuff; it can go from ''nobody will understand this'' to ''everyone can and will understand this'' in an instant, if only you take out the trash, simplify and stick with it.)

Don't talk about it too much. Just write it. Writers have talked themselves out of stories by telling the story to too many people before they write it. Don't tacitly ask for permission to write your story. No one but you can give yourself permission to write it. Just write it.

Stay in the moment. (Courtesy of Dan Millman's The Way of The Peaceful Warrior.) There are no ordinary moments. Something important is always happening. Be part of it what is happening around you. Turn off the observer-artist that wants to stay aloof and only observe and write about what is happening. As much as possible, be part of what is happening around you.

Don't hold onto your artistic writing too tightly. Avoid getting all your identity from your artistic writing while, to yourself, you trash your commercial writing or your day job. Find the love in what you do. Every day I write, I swim in an ocean of creativity. I think we all do. We're creative in our day job; we're creative in our night job. I believe my artistic writing informs my commercial writing and the other way around. So it's not: I'm an artistic writer who happens to be writing marketing communications. It's: I'm both the artistic writer and the commercial writer. I get enjoyment and identity from both.

Don't forget to have a life. Enjoy the journey. That is all there is. (Courtesy of Dan Millman's The Way of the Peaceful Warrior.) Sometimes I won't write at night to give myself a break. That way, I'll be less likely to get burned out. Sometimes the best thing you can do to finish your story is to go see a movie.

Note: Last month's EWA brought e-mail from Kim Kaminski who wrote, ''This is absolutely your best newsletter thus far... I see a new dimension to your writing and I love your essay 'On Love of Little Words.'''

And from Gloria Rosenstock who wrote that her son ''mentioned he enjoys reading your EWAs. He finds them helpful tutorials for improving his daily business writing! A huge compliment from a young man resistant to slowing down for details.''

And from Katy Barrilleaux who wrote, ''I enjoy your emails and love this topic. Are you going to put it up on your blog?'' (Yes, you will find this an other EWAs on my blog at http://excitingwritingblog.blogspot.com)

And from Susan Mardele who wrote, ''Excellent advisory. One thing I've used to get unstuck is to envision that my higher self, guiding principle, God, whatever, already has the piece written. All I have to do is start it, and it will 'channel' through me.'' (I find this to be a deeply moving thought.)

No comments:

Post a Comment